Sunday, March 7, 2010

Church and Carrots

Today I taught my primary kids for the last time :(
I've taught them for over a year, and I'm going to miss them. I am moving to senior primary, the 10 year olds. I'll miss the wiggle songs of junior primary, but its nice that these kids will be able to read.
In the spirit of putting my pictures from christmas, I thought it was appropriate to put the pictures from Luminarios and the nativity. Those are both about Christ.

For those of you who don't know about Luminarios, they are small candles that you use to light the path to your door Christmas Eve. Signifying that although there was no room in the inn, there is room in our house. Candles would blow out, so we fold paperbags (to keep the tops open) and put in some sand to hold them down and line our front walk/driveway, etc with the bags. When its dark we light the candles in each bag. Its cold, quiet, and I always feel fairly reverent. Its one of my favorite Christmas traditions. Lighting and Guiding the way for the Christ child. I love that we get to talk about this with the little ones while doing all the steps. - i had to borrow some pictures from Melanie since I didn't have any of the lighting ones.




































I took this picture from another web site since we didn't get a good picture of what our house looks like with the luminarios lit.






On to the Christmas Pagent. We did this a few days after Christmas, and it was great!

pregnant mary









Grandma was the star (she is holding one of Melanie's crocheted ones).

















Mary, Joseph, and some shepherds admiring the gifts the wisemen brought: gold, frankenSENSE (or old spice), and Myrr.






And in the spirit of carrots, here are the ones pulled up today. I really like the purple ones, they are so fun!




















To go with the carrots, I made that sweet/spicy pork that mom has on her blog, along with Jamie's famous mac and cheese, and some asperagus that needed to be used. All together very Yummy!

This was the setup at my house with my favorite nativity set, and the poinsetta that Cathy gave me.

5 comments:

Smart Helm said...

You got alot of good pictures of the pagent.. I got a few more that I can share with you but none of the whole cast and crew... I think ur carrots are awesome and I wish I lived with you so I could eat your yummy food! Have you broken out the food processer yet? I'm having a hard time finding a place to store all the extra parts. I need a bigger kitchen!

Jamie Pearson said...

Baby Jesus is not pointing the right way =) hehee too bad I'm not there to switch him around. I decided its a good thing I don't live close to you because I would want to hang out with you all the time and then poor Jesse would get left behind. I still think you should come visit me and baby when he comes. We could go to the beach =) I know you like the beach. Oh and I like your pictures especially those cool carrots

Sarah Jarvis said...

I love luminarios. They are so pretty and fun. SO are carrots! Your family did a great job with their pagent. Way to go.

LisaBC said...

Great pictures Emily! How do the carrots look in recipes? Where is your mom's blog?

Anonymous said...

i LOVE the lumanaries story. i really don't pay much attention to christmas, but i love the idea and it is so pretty. thanks for sharing.