Thursday, February 10, 2011

Projects

Ever heard of aquaponics? Its something that I think may be fun to try. Not anytime soon as chickens is the current project ....


Anyways its really cool. Its a cross between hydroponics and aquaculture where you raise fish, the water feeds the plants and the plants clean the water that goes back to the fish. In a good system you also have worms that you can feed to the fish! There are lots of DIY info out there (lots are really ugly and I wonder why they don't spiff them up a bit?). I would like to raise trout in the winter and Tilapia for the summer- except that Tilapia is illegal in Utah. So maybe catfish in the summer... except that catfish keep wriggling even after you knock em on the head.... icky!

Hope that as soon as the snow is melted off my incomplete chicken coop project, I can get it done in time for spring Laying. I'm looking forward to getting some new gals in my yard! Of course I've got other projects on my mind too. Really I should be working on my small hoop house to get some salad greens going too. Maybe once I've completed the chicken project I can get some ducks!

This is the khaki cambell ducks. They produce 320-350 eggs a year and as they are ducks, they are hardier then chickens and won't eat as many garden plants. They are quieter then chickens and I think very cute. I think watching them splash around in a pool to keep cool would be way cool.

Not many people raise this kind so I'd have to get ducklings which would be way fun too! Do you think I could get FMLA for that?



Bethanie is coming for a weekend getaway. I love having her closer then Wisconsin! I'm very excited! We'll probably mostly hang out at home, but maybe I can come up with some exciting Utah things for us to do :) taking suggestions


Note: I know its been forever since I posted. I was on a roll before, but then my friend experienced a horrible tragedy and my silly posts seemed so pointless. I know it doesn't make sense, but I've never claimed to be very reasonable.... Anyways, once I got out of the habbit and then it had been so long.... well it just got overwhelming. BUT, I do want to get back into it, so we'll see what happens from here on out.

5 comments:

Smart Helm said...

You shore have a bunch of projects planned. I really like the sound of the ducks. It's not like you have a bunch of experience in raising chickens either so since they are supposed to be hardier... maybe its better to experiment with them. I'm glad ur back to posting. Keep 'em coming! Oh yes, and remember to take pictures of u and Bethanie. I can't ever seem to remember those type of things.

Anonymous said...

ah, i am so jealous of your animal happenings or at least animal plannings. i would LOVE To have chicken and ducks, but i think the dog would love them too much too!!! glad you are blogging again. remember that all things are relative and each person has tragedy in a different way. you are just as important. so tell your friend to stop their whining (unless that friend is not me, then i feel really bad writing that) love you.

txparkinsons said...

im happy, and sad .. and jealous

txparkinsons said...

im happy, and sad .. and jealous

helmhq said...

Fun to learn of new things and see how they fit into your life. Hope you get to do some of these things.