Sunday, February 13, 2011

Weekend with Bethanie

I'm just finishing up canning some applesauce that I started Friday. Canning isn't too hard, but I think it would be nice to have someone come behind me to clean it all up. My jars are from my Grandmother and I love picking out the "pretty" ones to can in first. One of the jars had an old label from '85 on it which was fun to see. I got 12 pints.



I think I should have people come visit more often, it was amazing how much I got done in anticipation of Bethanie coming :) I won't list the stuff that needed to be done because its somewhat embaressing that those things were put off. Anyways, its amazing what positive motivation can do. I even had time to hang out with Cathy before Bethanie arrived.




Anyways, back to the fun part of the weekend. With Bethanie's arrival being later, we didn't do anything but talk that night (ummm ok so thats what we did most of the weekend :) Saturday we talked over hot apple cider and then made some breakfast together (I really do like steel cut oats I need to make them for myself even if its more fun to make things for company). Then our exciting eventures began. Bethanie had said the one thing she wanted to do was go to Costco, so we did. We got 5 bags of those uncooked tortillas for her to take back home. Got some other tasty stuff too. Went back home to unload and eat some lunch (pita wraps with costco chicken). I opened a jar of dilly beans and Bethanie is the first person besides me to think they are pretty much awesome (I sent her home with a jar so I hope she wasn't just pretending to like them).


After lunch we went to see the Carl Bloch exhibit at the BYU museum. We checked out the other exhibits there too, but as Bethanie said, we should've seen the others first as many of the other artists displayed weren't quite up to that caliber. Then again, I don't know much about art. We also wanted to see Mitch's thingy at one of the other buildings but it was closed (had weird Saturday hours).

We just made it in time to watch Cathy's "pink" game, and they won! WhooHoo! Then we watched some of the men's before going to get some grub (we did score some Jamba Juice which I think Bethanie had been craving, between the games). After driving around looking for a place that was open, and being indecisive (who me?), I dragged her along to my favorite Pizza place (P7/12)and we tried some very fancy food. It was all very tasty and we felt very cosmopolitan with truffle pizza, farro and root vegetables (with a maple vinigret), and Bethanie got an "herbal soda" that was brewed with burdock, dandylion, and anise.














It was rather late at this point (for Bethanie) but she stayed up even longer while I worked on the lesson for Sunbeams. She helped color and cut out some activities during the meeting which was very nice of her considering she was for once not having to watch any children. Bethanie came with me to primary and it was sure fun to have her there. I'm happy to report she knew the right answers :)

I repeated last week's Sunday meal since it was tasty and I still had ingrediants to use up. We had squash mac and cheese, sweet spicy port, homemade applesauce and spinach.

After our late lunch it was so beautiful that we went for a walk. Can't wait till spring!









I was sad to see her go, but now that she lives so close I'm sure it will happen again. I'll need to go see her for a weekend that she has a concert. Bethanie said the drive wasn't too bad and Jim was a bit jealous that we watched basketball.

Thanks Bethanie for a great weekend!

4 comments:

Montana at the Helm said...

Wow! You got to have Bethanie all to yourself, no kids???!! Awesome. I agree, it is awesome to have them close.

Smart Helm said...

K.. might be just a little bit jealous.. specially after my crazy weekend. Looks like u packed alot in and I'm so happy you already blogged about it! Very impressive.

txparkinsons said...

a .. :) and an :(

dang green eyed monster....

helmhq said...

I'm so glad that you got to spend time together. I'm especially glad that the others are envious. Must mean we did something right. It's great that you like each other!!!