Sunday, July 18, 2010

Family Reunion Day 4

I needed to wait until other people posted about the family reunion so I could steal their pictures for my post. Mom did a great post about the olympic events (see here), and Aaron, finally posted an album for his pics. Yay!
This is my favorite:









Anyways Day 4 had a few scary moments, but was still great. The parkinsons provided morning breakfast of cold cereal. There was something about Neita claiming the Special K cereal, but I think everyone got what they wanted. Then we went to zions to do the narrows together.

I had Aaron take this picture of some of the "hanging gardens" that were really pretty.









While on the bus, dad didn't feel so great and so he got off, and then collapsed. Fortunately it was onto a bench instead of the ground. A whole crowd of concerned Helms rushed off the bus. Felt pretty scared and helpless, but he ended up being ok, fortunately. I had asked the bus driver to get help, and I guess his radio didn't work. By the time he figured this out, Dad had started to come too, and didn't look so bad anymore. Dad was pretty embaressed about the whole thing, but probably would've felt worse if the EMS had responded. Think it was a hypoglycemic response to the lack of sleep, sugary breakfast, and heat.


So although that put a damper on things, and Mom, Dad, Jenny, Bethanie and kids stayed behind to recover at the air conditioned lodge, the rest of us set out.

After a short walk we came to the end of the trail and had our lunch.

Whoa whats on my cheese?


Yum, cucumber

(Thanks Aaron for the flattering pictures :)

Some weren't that prepared as they only had flip flops and such. I had suggested using their regular shoes for the water, and walking back in flip flops, but they all seemed to do ok.
There was a big crowd and most of the walking sticks were gone, so I went about finding enough while the others finished lunch. I ended up going with Sarah most of the way who was doing it bare foot!



It was really fun. I liked it where it got deep!
It got pretty deep, pretty quick on the short people, but they were good troopers!
Wyatt decided to see how deep it got and had to swim. I tried to help him and got my stuff bag wet, but not as bad as Wyatt! Poor guy he was pretty cold for the rest of the trip.
I was really impressed with Neita packing Malina where it got deep, one expects it of the brothers to pack the kids around (I guess Nathan carrying 2 is impressive). Joel feel asleep but all the other shorter peoples seemed to like it to! I hope Aaron also posts his videos as he filmed a lot of it.

Couple of group photos at the place were we turned around.


Here is a picture of those who were taking a photo.
















Beautiful Waterfall coming down into the river








Taking a rest in the shade, although it was plenty cool in the canyon with the cool water on your feet







More pictures of us hiking:













Theres Alec with his manly stick








Aaron had an even more manly stick.
Thanks Aaron for all the great photos!






4 comments:

Jamie Pearson said...

You are really making me want to go hike the narrows I haven't been there in so long. Thanks Aaron for the pretty pictures

Smart Helm said...

SO funny that you posted about it with everyone elses pictures! I'm lazy and just sent people to the others blog. Go Emily!

helmhq said...

Great post. I'm pretty sure Dad would rather you had left him out of it, but it was rather a prominent memory. I think maybe it got his attention so all for the good.

Sarah Jarvis said...

Awesome pictures! I am so glad you all got to do this! So fun!