Friday, February 10, 2012

memorial day last year

Melanie came to visit me for Memorial Day last year. I hope it becomes a tradition because we had fun! We went to the Orem City Fire Dept Pancake breakfast and posed with the trucks.












Melanie who helped me build these trelisis for the melons out front













Then we went to the store to buy supplies for the graves.


















We ended up having flags left over so we put some on top of the trellisis.








After looking up info for some likely locations around for some ancestors, we decided to start at the Provo city cemetary. They had a book so we could try and locate where they were. It was a cool and rainy day.










Its a big cemetary so it took us a while to find anything....














Then we found some... whats interesting about this couple is they moved to ID and had their kids there, but decided to be burried here in Provo









found a few other Barretts, not totally sure if we're related to the 2nd one. ...















so we cleaned the graves (next time we'll bring some scrubbers or something to do a better job with), put flowers and flags by the graves








(no we aren't posing or anything, why would you think that?)





















Then we found another group of relatives.... someone had already put a decoration on it





It said, if you are a relative of these people call me. So I did....















She was talkative and told me about her side of the story and told me a little more about these ladies. I hadn't known Mary had a sister named Emily. Great Name.

















We had so much fun we decided to try and find out family members from my dad's side. They settled the other side of the lake out in Cedar Fort. I loved how isolated and quite this cemetary was. I wonder about their story, as far as we know their children all went to ID but they decided to stay put.



We found the marker, but it was hard to read so if we go again we will probably take rubbings.





























When Melanie comes to visit we go out to eat cause she knows I love it so much. This picture wasn't actually from this trip, but I put it in anyways :)




We already have plans for next memorial day cause we have more people burried in the pioneer cemetray

3 comments:

Jamie Pearson said...

Great now I'm hungry! and what a great tradition to start.

Smart Helm said...

That really was so much fun. I'm all for keeping it a tradition. The hearts of the children definitely turned to their fathers! (cheesy I know, but too bad.)

helmhq said...

We are so far from family cemeteries. We really appreciate your taking care of some of the forgotten ones. Memorial Day was always my favorite holiday growing up. We need more good traditions for that day.