Sunday, July 12, 2009

Home again home again

So I'm back. Not super excited about it. Good news is most of the garden survived, although the "lawn" is pretty crispy (its mostly weeds anyways but if i keep it mowed it looks ok), and I need to replant some flowers, and the seedlings didn't make it. I already replanted the speghetti squash that died, but can't seem to find a sweet dumpling to replace the one that died. Most of the pots are doing ok.

Other then the crispy weeds in the lawn the rest of the weeds have done really well! I have been pulling weeds and deadheading and now need to spray the evil bind weed (mostly in the new front bed) to get it under control.

I also found these two HUGE mushroom thingys growing in the grass. My camera phone doesn't give you a real good idea of how big they are, but they are each bigger then my hand, and I have big hands.






The squash grew like crazy while I was gone. I have 3-4 little cantalopes on the vines, ate a handfull of currants, picked 5 little zuchinni, a carrot, bowl full of peas, 3 handfulls of beans, 2 sweet peppers, ate some brocoli, and the first tomato which I ate.









Its a brandywine and was especially good. Sure hope I can get more of those. I made a turkey bacon, tomato, bagel sandwhich for lunch and breakfast yesterday.

The tomatoes are bigger, but still fighting diseases. I fertalized everything yesterday so I hope that helps. The plants aren't putting on a lot, that could be due to being a little dry while I was gone. Hope they pick it up soon. I can already tell I'll get a lot of zuchinni this year, so I'm making zuchinni pizza for dinner tonight along with some melon and carmalized bananna icecream that i got off a blog chelsea is linked to. I'll let you know if its any good. Of course I've already changed the recipe because thats what i do!



REUNION SUMMARY:
Various family members have written and put pictures of the family reunion up so I don't think I need to go into much detail. Here are the ones from Melanie in case you haven't seen it, plus some of my comments and/or pictures. Most pictures are from Melanie and Mom's cameras since I downloaded them onto my computer. My phone wasn't working too well as it was dead most of the time so thats why i had to steal their photos.

http://msmarthelm.blogspot.com/2009/07/family-reunion-preperations.html commentary in addition to Melanie's blog: I'm not organized. I try very hard but it still doesn't work well. Hence the two trips to costco plus the regular grocery store, plus trying to do my primary lesson, plus making us leave an hour after we were readybecause the watering schedule ended before I would get back, etc etc etc.


I did have fun hanging out with Melanie even if I was tired and onry Friday because stuff at work took too long and so I wasn't able to finish the garden prep before leaving. But we went to Yamoto's for a late dinner and that made things better.






I really enjoyed the temple openhouse, so it was totally worth it.


It was fun to see Malinda even for just a short time. It still seems wrong that she isn't here.

So when we finally left, we took the scenic route and it was great to see the lakes full. I truely am a desert girl and lakes and rivers and streams are wonders to behold.

I was scared of those prarie dogs. Their high pitched yelling thingy was freaky, and then two of them started to fight and ran into me. ICK!




Riding in the car with Melanie and Spree was fun too. I thought the drive was interesting and the conversation was great. Also Melanie reminded me how important snacks are to a roadtrip.

I feel realy bad that I didn't realize Devils gate and martin's cove were on our route, otherwise we would've planned to spend a little time there. Melanie hasn't been there since she was 8. However, the mosquitos were horrible and as we drove away from this grave marker they rose up behind the car to come get us. Literally. I got like 4 bites in the 30 seconds we were there. Melanie not so much.





http://msmarthelm.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-family-family-reunion-part-2.html: The next day continued on and the drive still wasn't too bad. The black hills were very pretty to drive through and the weather was nice. Melanie and I got to the cabins to check things out and it was beautiful and peaceful so we just sat on the porch knowing that it wouldn't be like this again for the remainder of the stay. After everyone left on the last day we got to do it again which made nice bookends for the reunion. It was so fun to have everyone together!





http://msmarthelm.blogspot.com/2009/07/big-heads-family-reunion-part-3.html







Melanie, Aaron, Angela, and I wrode with the parents to the various sites. I had my "maggy" so we knew where we were, but then she broke :( Melanie was reading aloud a book we picked up called "Guernsy's Litterary and Potato Peel Society." Very cute book and since its written in letters easy to start and stop. Only problem is I have no idea where that book is now.






I can't believe how many people were at Mt. Rushmore. Its not that exciting. I mean its cool to see but thats about all there is.







I think the shirts turned out ok, but I'm a little disapointed we didn't get one of the whole family in front of the big heads. The crazy horse monument was interesting too, but everyone was tired by that time. We made icecream that night which has inspired me to make more icecream this summer!






http://msmarthelm.blogspot.com/2009/07/evening-singing-family-reunion-part-4.html
This was some of my favorite memories of the reunion. I just love being together and singing and being silly.








http://msmarthelm.blogspot.com/2009/07/next-day-family-reunion-part-5.html
I went with the fishing group that morning, and then the afternoon did prep for dinner and went to the big cut. My phone finally had some juice so I was able to take pictures. Didn't get one with Bethanie, Jim, or Natalie though :(





















I also really enjoyed stopping and playing in the water by the road. Didn't find any gold but did find some cool rocks. I got really wet by the little waterfall because those things are splashy! Sarah joined me in the water and neither of us are worse for where so hopefully the water wasn't too contaminated!

http://msmarthelm.blogspot.com/2009/07/last-day-family-reunion-part-6.html
It was sad when the reunion was over. But I did get to look forward to the 4th in NM. The drive there wasn't too bad because Melanie and I took turns reading a book. We made it through in pretty good time and I was reminded of all the pretty parts of South Colorado and Northern New Mexico. Everything was really green as its been raining there for the first time in 20 years.



















CUTE MELANIE






I liked pretending to drill the rock (I took a close up of it the day before cause its a cool rock and its the ore that they took all the gold out of.




Being in NM for the 4th is always something I look forward to. Its got the same really important elements every year: primary parade, family, fireworks, and homemade icecream.




.







I love doing face painting (or hand painting for the little ones). This year the weirdest request was a monster with sharp fangs and blood dripping down. At least I made it a patriotic monster!

Overall it was a way fun vacation until Monday which then caused me stress and to not enjoy my last two days at home, but that story is for another time. I'd rather end on a happy note:










4 comments:

helmhq said...

Imagine being the first!!! Does that get me anything?

Thanks for your added pictures and comments on the family reunion. So glad your garden survived. Hope everything that wasn't top notch recovers. My garden is so behind your, but I wasn't feeling too bad after all I don't live in Utah, but then we had a garden tour Sat. of some of the ward gardens and now I know that only my tomatoes look half decent!

Smart Helm said...

I'm sorry ur garden didn't survive perfectly, but u are much better at being OK with that (at least on the phone :-) I can't imagine the produce ur gonna have though the whole summer!

Great Reunion summary. I think ur awesome!

Melissa Bunn said...

Your garden is amazing! I can't believe how big your tomato grew! Looks like you guys and a fun and successful reunion.

Chelsea said...

Isn't that a fun cooking blog? I have yet to try anything, but I really like their ideas.
I enjoyed reading your memorial day post. I also feel like growing a garden is kind of a tie to my ancestors, and it keeps me humble (i.e. think what I'd be like withhout it). I mean, our lives are SOOO easy compared to theirs!