Wednesday, June 24, 2009

just cause its sold in a health food store...


Lesson learned: Just cause its sold in a health food store doesn't mean its healthy.



So I've been jonesing after the brazilian lemonade that I had last Saturday and finally stopped to buy more limes to do so tonight. It was perfect because it was hot and I was thirsty and not very hungry. It was sooo tasty that I made two batches and drank it all (about 6 cups worth).

To make it more healthy I decided to use this sugar substitute I picked up from Good Earth in the bulk food section. Its called xylitol. The little label didn't say much about it, and I did look it up (google) and saw that its not healthy for dogs but nothing else. (its used in sugar free gum)

I probably used 3/4 cups of xylitol. The recipe called for 1/3 cup of sugar, but for the first batch I thought that xylitol wasn't as sweet so used 1/2 c. That was too sweet so I only used 1/4 c in the second batch. After drinking all that i didn't feel super well.....

I decided that maybe my body doesn't do well with xylitol. I looked up side effects and found this: "it’s dietary uses cause a slight diarrhea as a result of slow absorption from the intestine, a temporary condition but discomforting."

then this: "However, it is known that exceeding the 6 to 8 grams of recommended Xylitol for oral care can cause stomach discomfort and above 40 grams a day as sweetener, it might cause diarrhea."

Without giving TMI there is no MIGHT for me. I think I ate 168 grams so you can image the results. They were swift and mighty! And intestinal absorption was probably zero. So if any of you need a rapid "cleanse," don't pay for those expensive dietary "detoxifiers," just try my brazilian lemonaid and 30 minutes later you'll see immediate results!

Due to this culinary experiment I don't know that I'll be wanting this tasty lemonade for awhile. Also I haven't been able to dig in my garden tonight which is dissapointing.

9 comments:

Jamie Pearson said...

Oh I'm soooo sorry to hear that. Note to self just use regular sugar!! I know how you feel thats what happens when I drink milk but you already knew that. I hope you are feeling better today.

Gage said...

no comment!

Smart Helm said...

Ew...

But yes, that was funny.

Now ur all ready for the Reunion! :-)

Bethanie said...

Hum, I'm sorry. I have to be careful what I eat... well you know. I'm sorry caz i know what it is like!!!!!

Sarah Jarvis said...

Man, I am so sorry. But it is true. There is bad stuff at the health food store. I guess "health" is relative. It is the same with a lot of other sweeteners. So we just stick with sugar or maple syrup. Sad but true. Hope you are all better.

Montana at the Helm said...

Wow! That is a hard lesson learned.

Melissa Bunn said...

I'm Sorry! You made me laugh though. Sorry you had to experience that to make me laugh! Have fun at your reunion!

helmhq said...

Once they mess with stuff--it generally isn't good for you. So--stick with the real! Nice of me to give advice now that you don't need it. It's interesting we have to learn so much the hard way? I imagine that you have completely tested out the fallacy that intestinal cleansing makes you weight less! So sorry though! can't wait to comfort you in person!
WV Ulchted kind of fits!

WARNERS said...

Well, sorry to laugh at your pain, but I was laughing so hard it brought tears to my eyes. I like to stick to the real deal - butter, sugar, you know - but then again, its no surprise from the looks o me. Thanks for the post and a good laugh - which is always refreshing.

Also I just tried Brazilian lemonade (limeade, really) for the first time yesterday at a baby shower and it was delicious and refreshing.