Sunday, June 21, 2009

reunion preview

.... So I wanted to try out what Melanie and I thinking of cooking for our night of the reunion. Sweet Pork Salad, cafe rio style. It turned out great (other then I have enough left over pork to last for two weeks)! But then I remembered that not everyone likes cilantro. TOO BAD FOR THEM (just kidding mom). Anyways I don't think there will be a problem. I'll just bring some ranch dressing and regular salsa for the less culinary refined....






Start with some warm tortillas with a little cheese on the bottom. These are uncooked tortillas that you cook yourself and they tast sooo much better then the already cooked kind.






add some black beans (I think these were tastier then cafe rio, probably cause I cooked 'em a long time)












sweet pork















The rice was the best! Cilantro lime, Yum!



top with lettuce





add Pico- this reminds me of chelsea because she told me about a dream she had once in which she had a baby and she named it pico, and when someone asked her where she got that name she replied, "you know pico, short for pico-de-gallo." I'm not humerous, even in my dreams.



finish off with some crunchy tortilla strips, and some parmesean cheese, and pour on the creamy tomatillo dressing. Eat. The End. Nope go back for more.






I next want to figure out how they made that brazillian lemonaid at Tucanos.



In other news I downloaded the trial version of Sibelius. It was frustrating but fun. The problem is I completed a whole piece (4 pages) and now it won't print right and because its the trial version I can't save. I think Aaron found a way around that, but this is a newer version so maybe not. Well, next time I'll be a lot faster so not a huge worry. I can't figure out how to get rid of the extra measures and stanzas....




There were not very many people at church today. Guess they all took their dads fishing or something. I had the whole bench to myself. I usually sit by myself, so I should probably sit on one of the side pews so I don't take up so much room. but I like to sit in the middle rows about 4-5 back on the right side. I guess I will just continue to sit where I want to even if it means i take up a whole center pew....




With just half our kids in primary it was a bit more reverant. The one boy in my class today is usually really good and only acts out when the other two boys are there, however his mom now leads the music and he has started to get a little more "rambunctious." The good news is he isn't well practiced yet at misbehavior. He was singing the songs really loudly, I guess to be annoying but he knew the words and was singing on tune so it really wasn't annoying and actually made the other kids sing louder. So although there was less then half of our normal jr. primary they were really singing louder then normal.



Dad sent me this picture, proof that I was cute once apon a time :) (notice the 70's orange carpet? Its ok because it WAS the 70's)


I was a good kid in primary (mom says so). As a teacher I try to give a lot of attention to the kids being good because I remember thinking it wasn't fair that the naughty ones got chosen more often. Anyways I'm enjoying primary and the kids are doing pretty good. One of our kids who really struggles (he has got some sensory issues) last time loudly told me when he was being good and reverent. I praised him and mostly just try to make him (and all the other kids) know that I like having them there. Its funny how I like it that my kids wave to me when they see me in church and tell their parents/siblings that I'm their teacher. Makes me feel included in the ward I guess.

8 comments:

Neita and Nate said...

You can come teach in our primary anytime! Can't wait to eat...I....I mean to see you all at the reunion...:)

Smart Helm said...

I'm glad it all worked out... You are so funny! :-)

I like teaching in church too cuz then I get to know more people in the ward. Problem is, I teach girls who don't won't acknoledge an old maid, but the woman do.

SO EXCITED! 4 more days!

Chelsea said...

Oh, I remember that dream! I also remember telling some Spanish-speaking returned missionaries, and they laughed really hard b/c I guess Pico has a little bit of a bad connotation in some slangs of Latin America. How was I supposed to know? I just knew Pico de Gallo!

Melissa Bunn said...

Yum, that looks so good! I love those tortillas too, they are so much better!

WARNERS said...

Oh, now I want Cafe Rio even more! My friend just went to AZ today and texted me about going to cafe rio. So I was jealous already and then reading your blog... oh what is this poor pregnant lady to do?

The picture of you is absolutely adorable!

You still are super cute - in looks AND personality.

Miss you!

Bethanie said...

That food sounds awesome to me. I love food!!
You can come and visit me and help out in our Primary. We have a bunch of kids with lots of "energy." The one girl was just plain 'o difficult on Sunday. I even had the threaten to take her to her father:(

helmhq said...

I've always loved that picture of you. The real you. As a little girl, you were a pill when we took pictures and so we don't have many where you are smiling even though you were usually pretty smiley.

Montana at the Helm said...

That food looks so yummy! Sure glad you are coming to the reunion...hehe