Thursday, June 11, 2009

last minute concert fun, and some grrrrrs


So, Cathy called me around 5:30 asking if I wanted to go to a Kelly Cl*rkston concert tonight. I said sure. It was pretty fun. It was pretty cold, and it even rained on us a bit, but there was an awesome rainbow, one of the brightest, fullest ones I've ever seen!(my silly camera can't pick it up very well) It was a fun evening, and I took the space blanket from my emergency car kit which kept me dryer and warmer then I would've been.











It has been rainy and cool for most of the week. Its made watering very easy! My letuce is loving it and so are the peas. They have reached the top of the 4' chicken wire and are starting to really produce. I get a handfull of strawberries most mornings. BUT something keeps using that patch as a path and squishing strawberries. I put some wire edging around it and tucked the netting around pretty good, and it looks like the strawberry plants that got squished are perking back up.- while I was putting this up a robin flew down and got stuck. Much squaking insured but before I could get over there Nanguo appeared and I yelled at her. She usually won't get near me but ran and grabbed the bird anyways, but then got caught in the net and freaked out because I guess she thought I had grabbed her so she took off. The bird had squaked loudly so I thought it was dead, but then it flapped around and got free and flew off. Wow a wild america moment in my backyard, only with a cat and a robin rather then a mountain lion and eagle or something similarly wild.


Yesterday I went out and something messed up the mulch around the eggplants and broke off and squished a lot of onions. OH I AM SO MAD! I found some pieces of wiring that make me now think that maybe someone was doing something with the power/phone/or cable lines and put a latter right there. I noticed other marks in the pole bean bed near there, with only a couple of dill plants slightly squashed. I know I lost at least this onion, and I'll see how many others recover. GRRRR. (the pictures don't really show it, but believe me they are broken and squashed)











A couple of days ago I came home from work and there were huge paw prints all over the carrot bed. Its one thing to walk on there mister stray dog, its another to dance all over it! At least two of my bigger ones were broken clean off, and I don't know if the seeds will come up now. Double GRRRRRR
















One of the brocoli plants has been pushed over, but seems to still be alive...










I've finished mulching most of the vegetable garden but still have soooo much work to do! Finish transplanting red things and cosmos is the next chore, and finishing putting in the plants mom gave me after that. Then its working on turning over the dirt around the bushes and berries I planted around the fire pit and along the right side fence. after that work on cleaning up the fire pit area, and then if there is any time left its enlarging the window gardens. I think I started too many new projects this year!

9 comments:

Montana at the Helm said...

How frustrating to have your precious garden violated! My parents often had cows running through their garden, not good!

Heidi said...

Are you sure it's not a cat? Kitten liked to make nests out of my Mom's garden. Not sure what you would do about it though...

Glad you are enjoying the cold weather. (-:

Smart Helm said...

So it was a PERSON!?!?! No wonder u were so mad on the phone! I thought it was an animal and there isn't much u can do about it cuz they don't mean to be dumb... they just are. But humans can make good decision. GRR, Now I'm really MAD too. I'm sorry!

But at least u are getting some fruits off of ur labors. And yes, I agree that u have 2 many projects, but doesn't it make the weeks just fly by so fast? Of course, once u get the plants transplanted, the rest of the work isn't time dependent.

Good luck!

Melissa Bunn said...

That would make me mad too! The garden looks great even with the smooshed stuff.

txparkinsons said...

no comments on kelly clarkston? guess it wasn't that great ...

WARNERS said...

Somehow one of my tomato plants got snapped off and I'm not sure if it was an animal or a person but I was so sad because I only have - had two. Now I'm down to one. I just need to plant more but I haven't made the time.

Sorry about your garden - so frustrating.

The concert looks like it was fun though.

Bethanie said...

GRRRR!! Not only is it frustrating because of the energy/time spent but also because of the hope of eating good food- ONLY TO HAVE IT DASHED AGAINST THE ROCKS! Oh! and then you feel silly for crying over a punch of little plants! Curse you rabbit! I want my pea plants back!
You garden still looks wonderful Emily!

Jamie Pearson said...

I am so sorry about your plants i would be very upset if I were you too. I am mad at my garden as well, actually I'm mad that there are no bees polinating anything I planted marigolds but they are not flowering but are about 2 feet high. Oh the joys of gardening. I'm glad you were able to do so much this year. Go YOU

helmhq said...

Sorry for you troubles, but your yard still looks so green and wonderful to me. Of course I have to compare it to our struggling plants