Friday, June 5, 2009

Late Spring Harvests

I did just post last night, but I wanted to share some exciting news today! I ate my first sugar snap pea! oh boy was it tasty. Every morning when I go out to check things I graze a little. Some lettuce, a few brocoli heads, maybe some fennel and I check the strawberries. I've gotten one or two strawberries, but I forgot to look the last couple of days so today I got: (this is from my little old patch, the new bed is still just growing roots (thats what I tell myself, but there are a few little strawberries on)
THEY ARE SOOOO GOOOD! some aren't as sweet as others but the flavor in even a tiny berry is just amazing!

Here are the peas (its overcast today but my phone doesn't do well on bright days either). I had already eaten the pea so I don't have a picture of it. I should have two more ready to pick in a day or two:
The lettuce has gone crazy. I need to pick more and give it away, any takers around here, just let me know....


Heres a couple of pictures of the tree garden all planted. I still have to decide how many of the sunflowers I left to pull up since i don't really want them to shade the other things. I also put in a close up of the painted lady daisies. They are a great pretty perenial (the flowers start out the dark pink and fade as they age to the light pink) and pretty easy.
This is the other side of the shade garden that I didn't put in the last post:

Here is the stump garden currently. I haven't filled it in with annuals yet, thats on today's list after the front sun garden is filled in. I also included a picture from this spring after I had cleaned it off for a compare and contrast photo.

Lastly, here are some pictures of my soon to be very bountiful produce: tomato (pink brandywine), baby zuchinii, and a sweet pepper (this one had two labels, manchurian red and ivory bell, the color leans to the ivory but the shape is more like the manchurian).











I just got a fuzzy grass head and tried to help polinate a few more tomatoes and tomatillos, speaking of tomatillos, apparently they reseed themselves pretty well if you leave some unpicked ones on the vine after frost, or throw overripe ones on the ground....

look how big everything is getting!









My potatoes, onions, eggplant are all growing fast.
Pole beans are now up. I transplanted many of them where two came up to the spots where none. I had to use slug bait as a night time stake out pointed out who was eating my beans (and parsley and marigolds- not eating cilantro)

7 comments:

Bethanie said...

Boy everything looks good enought to eat! My yard is way behind yours. I'm excited to be getting good things to eat. Your flowers look beautiful. You should try to win some kind of award.

Bethanie said...

Emily I think you should come and visit me. Just saying...

Jamie Pearson said...

Wow how come your garden is doing a thousand times better than mine? I think I may have started a little late cause you started yours all inside, maybe I'll be more on top of it next year. Good Job on your hard work

Sarah Jarvis said...

Wow! That is amazing. So beautiful and yummy! When can we come by to look at it and taste it? :-) We miss you!

Smart Helm said...

Mmm.. I think its time for a visit to your house :-) I can shore tell u have put alot of work into that garden!

It looks beautiful and I'm jealous... of ur weather.

Melissa Bunn said...

Wow, Emily! Everything looks so good! I am very impressed. I was hoping for an udate on your garden.

helmhq said...

How come I can't keep up with you!!

WV junclay -- Maybe that why, my dirt is high quality pottery clay and it is June when I'm finally planting.