Saturday, June 20, 2009

My coral bells are just so pretty in the shade garden this year!



my letuce is starting to bolt. Its been cold a rainy, I have no idea why it would do this to me. I'm taking it personally. But its been very good and sweet up to now. Maybe its cause I stopped picking it as often? The cold rainy weather has been great for the peas which are huge and starting to really produce stuff. Its not been good for the tomatoes. They got that disease that I had to deal with two years ago and I might loose one. I rotated my plants and so I don't understand whats going on. its very disapointing, but I remain optomistic. I am carefully trimming the sick leaves off, taking care not to touch other tomatoes, and spraying with a fungacide. I haven't been able to identify the exact disease since none of the discriptions or pictures exactly discribe it. i'm afraid I might have two diseases on them. I'm hoping it is one thats treatable and not a virus, and that once it warms up and isn't so wet on the leaves the tomatoes will do a better job of fighting it off)

I'm tired. Thursday I drove down to Fillmore, then Santaquin, then Provo for visits and was wiped out. Yesterday I put in a full day at work traveling to Hooper Utah, and then Ogden and then stopping in W. Valley for visits, then finally heading home. It was a long day because technically I don't work on Fridays. But as you know we have the family reunion coming up and I need to get all my visits done before leaving town. Anyways the wierd thing is I was getting dizzy at odd times which isn't really good when driving and stuck in traffic for EVER (like an extra 45 minutes to get from W. Valley back to AF). This meant when I did get home I couldn't really work in the garden since I'd get dizzy when I sat down, bent over, etc. There is a lot of that in gardening.... I did transplant a few things though.


Today I still felt a little funny but was able to get done lots. I transplanted red things (amaranth) and cosmos (which for some reason the biggest batch all came up in the gravel drive way. Huh?)all along the back wall, and behind the fire pit. Which I finished cleaning up and getting the tree trimmings all neatly stacked and mulched behind it, etc. (I'll take a picture tomorrow when its light and put it here so you can see)
Kate mowed the front lawn for me and then started helping me chop up some of the twigs from the fire pit (I had gotten two many twings so I had to burn them to make room (darn I hate burning things :) Then it started to rain hard so I came in and took a shower and then we went to Tocanos. OH MY. I've never been there before but I definately think I will have to take whoever comes to visit me there so I can go again. Its a brazilian bbq. All you can eat. There is a good salad bar and some warm sides too, and then these handsome guys come around with skewers of different amazing meats or vegetables, or grilled pineapple and they will cut you off whatever you want. WOW. We went right before lunch was over so we actually got some of the pricier dinner stuff for the lunch price. WHOOOHOOO
It was raining when we got home so I rested some (food coma) and watched part of a movie then cleaned the bathroom. Then it had stopped raining so I transplanted, mulched, and then mowed the back lawn. That tires me out and I probably should shower again. Oh well.
This week I finally finished turning over the dirt around the fire pit. Now just need to do it along the side fence, and then enlarging the window gardens someday.

Last week I decided I had room to put some squash plants in my front side yard where I have a grape and some dew berries and tough perenials planted. I had decided on banana squash and spaghetti squash. The nurshrey didn't hae speghetti squash so I baught others (Mama mia, sweat dumpling, acorn and bananna). Then I stopped at walmart for more dirt and mulch and they had a speghetti squash so I ended up with 5. Thats close to 2 right? Anyways there was plenty of room for them and I'll see what I get this year. (its dark now but I'll take some pictures and post them on here tomorrow)



Last sunday I used my last jar of canned tomatoes and made a really good pasta sauce. We also had a wonderful, tasty, delicious crenshaw melon from the local fruit stand I don't know why I didn't get one yesterday... oh yah its cause I was dizzy. Also cooked some good fresh sweet corn, and some corn bread and of course the never ending fresh garden salad (various greens, edible flowers, herbs, etc).
I then decided to use some of my rhubarb. I cut up some apples that I needed to use up, 3 cups of rhubarb , and some left over strawberries (some from the garden, some from the fridge) and made a sort of crisp. It was really yummmmy


But I cooked it late and so I was the only one awake to eat it hot and fresh. MORE FOR ME HA HA HA HA

Last Saturday I also did some shopping for my primary lesson class. There was the brightest fullest hugest rainbow I ever did see. My camera phone doesn't pick up colors real great so you can imagine how amazing the rainbow was. I thought it was funny that since I was at the Distribution center, thats where it looks like the rainbow ends... sort of.

3 comments:

Sarah Jarvis said...

I love your long post and hope you are feeling better and less dizzy soon. Wow, you garden amazes me every time and I can't believe how much work you put into it. Well, I can and I am proud of you. Have fun at the family reunion. We have one coming up as well and are excited.

Smart Helm said...

Man woman, reading this makes me tired. just a minute while I go finish my book.

Yup, that's what I've been doing. Not very productive, eh? You make me feel guilty. But I'm so impressed and think u are AWESOME! That's why I want to hang out with u. Hope u feel better... stop mixing drugs might help :-)

helmhq said...

Your Coral Bells really are thick and pretty, and sorry about your tomato plants, They really don't like cool weather, and will probably perk up with the sun. I wish you could send some of that crisp by email or blog or phone--makes me hungry!