Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Roots or tubers (whatever)




So apparently I haven't lost touch with my ancestors potato growing genes. I was just so sure my potatoes were only folliage. Well Cathy convinced me to look again and this time I dug down pretty far with my hand.... felt a rock, that was pretty big which was suprising cause I thought I got those all out when prepping the soil. Pulled it out and it was a big bright pink/red potato. I would say you should've seen the look on my face but I couldn't see it either. Anyways I was way suprised. I didn't think I could grow potatoes. They seemed picky. But here it is. I dug down another place a got another one. Cathy dug down and pulled up two.




It was like easter only more fun! The skin comes off really easily since they aren't curred and so they were pink and white.


I guess they grow further down in the soil then I thought they did. Cathy thinks I have lots of potatoes but since mine were so deep I think maybe I just have the one layer instead of all along the burried stem like the experts.


So then I steamed them and ate them and Cathy and Mama and Kate had some too. They said they were tasty and they were. They tasted like potatoes.nThen we had more bannana icecream.


YAY!


I'm feeling very successfull right now so probably all my tomatoes will die to keep me humble. Also I thought about what plant gives you the most food for space? How much stuff would I need to plant to actually live off of? How did my ancestors do that-grow enough to feed them during the summer and store enough to feed my family for the winter. Wow.


My roommates and I just discussed this. It was very fun... for me.

6 comments:

Montana at the Helm said...

Awesome red potatoes! They are so good fresh from the garden, well I guess everything is good fresh from the garden. Try this recipe:

Boil some red potatoes(big ones should be cut in half) and fresh garden peas in a saucepan. Cook the potatoes until they are very soft, then add some butter,milk,salt and pepper. Mash a bit, stir a bit. I like big chunks of potatoes in mine. Enjoy! This was a favorite of my family's in the summer. It's divine!

Smart Helm said...

Man, ur on a blogging ROLL! I'm so happy 4 u and ur potato success. I'm quite jealous.

Subsistance gardening. That's what ur doing. (I learned about that on PBS last night) Its really 2 bad you can't get a cow and some chickens :-)

helmhq said...

Or a goat, turkeys and bunnies like Tiffany Lovell in our ward.

Any way those potatoes look really good. I'm sure you have more, they just aren't that big yet. The big ones are always on the bottom. Just use them and enjoy them!

Jamie Pearson said...

wow I'm very impressed and I have to agree with Melanie you are on a blogging roll. I planted potatoes too but i planted white ones and now I'm wishing i had done red. my friend who planted hers got some out of her garden 2 weeks ago. I love eating fresh stuff from the garden. Too bad mine is suffering a little. I guess I have lots to learn.

Bethanie said...

WOW! I'm glad that things in your garden are growing so well. Do you want to come here and help me? You know you do!

txparkinsons said...

i want some!