Sunday, April 3, 2011

Conference Weekend

Conference equals spring! It was funny to see it all snowy today. I meant to get a couple of pictures of my first daffodils blooming in the back window garden, but forgot so I just went out there. My new phone has a flash! Poor daffs.



I do enjoy conference. its nice to get things in perspective and remember the things I can do to make my life better. I'll also admit its nice to not put together a lesson for sunday. Last year I was glad to not have to teach too, but this year our little guys are much easier :)



I was pretty tired today so I decided to cook up the remaining squash from downstairs for squash mac and cheese, and preserve the rest in the freezer. Besides 3 small squash (2 baby blue hubards, and a mystery volunteer) all that was left was bubba. It cooked up pretty good, and had more flesh then i thought it would. Very mild and fairly sweet. Not great for pumpkin pie but perfect for my needs. I found it worked better to squeeze out some of the extra juice to keep it from being so soupy.


Have you ever squeezed cooked pumpkin. Its kind of a fun experience :)



Friday I got home from work early enough to do plenty in the garden. I dug up potatoes and since I had already worked on it a week or so ago, it was much faster going. Cathy was nice enough to stop by and keep me company.... I also got some of the back wall garden cleaned off before going to play.

Saturday was also a beautiful day. I organized my primary stuff during the first session of conference so now the spare room will not get as messy, hopefully!. In between conference sessions I got some of the house work done as well as ate lunch with Alec and Tom. Then it was out in the garden after the afternoon session where i finished digging for potatoes, shoveled all the dirt back, planted broccoli and cabbage, put down cow poops on the bed where the peas are going, and finished cleaning the bed around the fire pit. This lasted till it was too dark to see anything. I also planned out the garden on the computer so I know what goes where. I really hope to do more vertical plantings this year to try and fit more things in. We'll see how it goes. Then the rest of the evening was finishing house work. I'd let it go a bit long but the house was looking much better when I started so thats good.




Digging out the potatoes took a lot of work. Some of them were over 2.5' down. I think this year will be better since I planted to shallow the first year and too deep the second. 3rd year is a charm, right? I also need to find a way that saves me from skewering so many when I dig them up. I got some great big ones so I must be doing some things right. Now I need to figure out how to use them all up in a hurry. Any suggestions?








I had hoped to get the peas planted yesterday, so hopefully that will happen this week. I can plant the onions now that the old potato bed is all dug up and turned over. Just need more poops :)


i love these nasturtiums. They just popped up and are already taller then the older seedlings. For some reason they look like hands lifted up in prayer to me (hard to see in this picture)

2 comments:

Smart Helm said...

Just reading this makes me tired. I crocheted... that's productive right?
Hash browns!

txparkinsons said...

poops?