Thursday, April 7, 2011

new year resolutions

I usually make several resolutions involving saving money, eating healthy, taking care of myself spiritually/emotionally/mentally and working out. Unfortunately I don't usually go beyond thinking of setting them, let alone starting. However, last year I decided to stop drinking soda (I grew up calling it pop or coke but I've switched to calling it soda cause its fun to say if you draw out the ooo. Try it: Sooooda, see wasn't that fun?) and with only a couple of relapses I've done well. I've only recently stopped craving it even though I never really drank that much of it before. I can't imagine how hard it must be for people who get hooked on much more addicting things.



Anyways this year I decided to limit myself to eating out once a week. This has actually contributed to not spending as much money and eating healthier as byproduct goals. It hasn't helped tons though because when I do go out now, I tend to splurge :) But I've done really well, in fact a couple of weeks ago I didn't even eat out once! Last weekend I didn't quite do it (see post about Tom and Alec), and this week I got a couple of "snacks" to go with my lunch so not doing as well but overall its a vast improvement. (this picture doesn't really go, but I was proud of the 18 cups of pureed squish!)


This week, I printed out my monthly goal sheet and put it up on the fridge to mark up daily. Just that small step has put me back on track for some things that I really do want to do everyday. Shiny Sink is back and with it all the benefits of having a cleaner house. Just by breaking things into small doable chunks I feel better about myself, my home, etc.



So how are you doing on yours?

6 comments:

Smart Helm said...

I always mean to have new years resolutions but never do. Perhaps I need a sheet to hang on my fridge like you so they are actually written up. Ur a good example. Very proud of u for not eating out! I know how hard that is... What are you going to do while at Hawaii? Do you have to save it up?

Jamie Pearson said...

Hey thats my picture =) I like it! Yeah for setting goals I should do that...maybe when we get settled. So are you going to come visit us in Yellowstone. I sure want to see you!

Gage said...

Resolutions? What are those?

Montana at the Helm said...

Love it! Breaking it down really does help. I always overwhelm myself too with my goals. I really like your ideas. Go gettem!

helmhq said...

I make some pretty big ones this year, and I put up a quote to remind me, but that wasn't really effective. I think I need a sticker chart to keep me on track too.

txparkinsons said...

..new years? when was that?

and i really like soooodaa!