Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Whats commin up?

I love wandering around the garden when its not actually snowing to look at what is popping up.

Lots of baby parsley where its gone to seed.







Tons of red orach is coming up so I don't think I'll ever have to reseed it. Now I just have to figure out what to do with it.

Fennel is greening up, and unfortunately has proved rather invasive without producing many bulbs.





My garlic experiments seemed to work. Last spring I took some that was growing on the counter and put it here and there in the garden. It grew and I took the biggest cloves from each new bulb and replanted it. Now each of those are growing and looking well.




Seeing buds on most of the fruit bushes, little pussy willow looking things on a couple of saskatoon bushes, swelling pink buds on the bush cherries, and the leaves are popping out on the elderberry bushes.







The rhubarb bush that I semi-divided is doing well. The hacked off sectioned is also growing:








The grass is starting to green up and perennials are putting new leaves or greening up too. Tons of work to do!

First loads of cow poop were purchased Saturday to get the beds ready that will have peas planted in the next couple of weeks.

In bad news, cats got in the hoop house. I let it go a little long between waterings and the cats thought it was a nice, warm, dry place to hang out apparently. They wallowed out nice soft beds. grrrr Can see some radishes were coming up but most of the lettuce was literally wiped out.

4 comments:

Montana at the Helm said...

I love seeing things popping up too. It is so exciting! It make me feel hopeful that spring really is coming.

Smart Helm said...

I really like this post. All those fun things coming up! I'm not really getting to experience spring.. I missed it in Vegas and although it's just starting here in Seattle, I will be gone b4 it's full throttle, athough some trees are flowering. I'm so sorry about ur lettuce! Didn't know u'd need a lock on the door, eh?

Neita and Nate said...

I couldn't help twitching just a bit when I read (heard) you expressing discontent with cats and your garden. Um, do you want (need) me to...help? :)

Angela said...

Maybe get a dog..just saying! Anyways, I wish I was so lucky to have a garden with all these things in it! Maybe you can come and fix one for me in a few years! And maybe when I come to visit you will have stuff to "share"! hee hee!