Sunday, April 18, 2010

potato

So, The potato project has taken me longer then I thought. This post also took longer as its now several weeks after I started it. Its ok though, the little guys weren't that big yet. Bethanie helped me with the research on which red potatoe to get. Thanks Sis!











I believe I choose 15 Red Pontiac. I also picked up 5 yukon golds. I read somewhere that picking the small seed potatoes is best because you don't get as much disease, and they grow faster since they don't have to heal the cut. I guess I'll see this year. If I've still got room for a few more I might try Red Norland, but I guess we'll see.



I did get 5 more (Red Norland) Saturday and planted them! So I'm now potatoe expectant. Or would an expecting potato mom be more accurate? How about the potatoes are gestating? I could say theres a potato in the oven, but thats just confusing.


Anyways. I got the bed all ready, then realized the trenches I could dig in the raised bed were just not going to work, so I got discouraged. (couple of weeks ago)

Then Cathy said I should just pile the dirt nearby. Thats a great idea. Still ended up being more work then I thought. I got it all dug out about 18"- 2'. That ended up being a lot of dirt. Now the task is to loosen, and improve the soil where the actual roots will be. Thats ended up being a ton more work. I'd taken out 4 bucket worth of rocks in just the end of the row and thats as far as I got on conference Saturday.







I finished the following Saturday and then got the last 5 in yesterday. I sure hope everything works out well. I'll post more about yesterday's further garden exploits later.

6 comments:

helmhq said...

Those potatoes will have the best bed yet. I'm sure they will be so grateful that they will produce many great big smooth delicious spuds. That will make you a spud farmer, like your grandparents and great grandparents.

Jamie Pearson said...

You are going to have so many potatoes! My friend mike planted potatoes last year he just dug a hole and then added a little dirt. Good luck with those potatoes. Hey we need to catch up soon. I haven't talk to you in forever!

Sarah Jarvis said...

Wow. You did some serious garden work. As always, I guess. But this seems like a serious work out. Lucky potatoes. I love the red ones. I hope it all works out well and you will have lots of yummy potatoes.

Smart Helm said...

Man.. that is alot of work. I'll have to arm wrestle you next time to see if u've gotten any stronger :-)

I love the "gestating potatoes". I'll come and make hash browns for you out of them.

Neita and Nate said...

Always fun to see your gardening posts. We have had beautiful weather the last few days and have been working in the yard. We just got our peas, spinach, and lettuce in on Sat.

Montana at the Helm said...

So are you trying to feed the whole neighborhood with your garden? Because if you are, I want to be your neighbor!