Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Food experiments

For Sunday dinner (almost 2 weeks ago) I decided to grill a roast. It was in the lastest cook's magazine. Other then it being way to salty it worked pretty good. I think the problem was that the roast I bought was "enhanced with up to 3% beef broth." I only saw that after the roasting. I will do this again but not do the salt rub so long! Grilling made me really excited for homemade burgers with fresh garden produce. YUM!

Since the grill was still hot, I put another piece of meat that I needed to use up on the grill, and then since dinner was ready, promptly forgot it. I cut off the carbonized portion and have a few slices of smoky meat for sandwhiches.
Anyways. For dinner (2 weeks ago) we had cornbread, carrots (of course), crashed potatoes (which are practically a staple now), the roast, and Mama made greens. It was a pretty, colorful, and tasty dinner. And while I think the other two had water, I had chocolate milk since it needs to be used up.


Last Sunday I made enchilada casserole (because its faster then rolling individual ones). I used my home canned tomatillos and even though I ended up with not all the ingredients that would've made it extra tasty, it wasn't bad. And there were leftovers that I could take for lunch this week.
There is a cottage cafe up where my office moved to. This means there is super cheap, not healthy food within walking distance (drink, fries, cheesburger $2.50 total). My not eating out goal took a hard hit when first moved up there. But I've done better since.

Here is a picture of my old office all packed up:




Here is a picture of my new office, semi umpacked:




The building is not convienient as it takes an additional 10 min to get to it (our old one was right off the highway) and is old and smelly. They did re-paint and clean the carpet so it wasn't as bad as the first time we saw it. I'm not happy about it but that wasn't important I guess. I do have a window now which is nice.


Worm update: still look like worms. One of the boxes is suicidal, I'm needing to check it every day and put any worms that got out back in because they die awfully fast. I had lined the second box with a couple sheets of newspaper so that the worms wouldn't escape out the drain holes, and they stay put for the most part. I'll make sure to do that with both boxes next time.

5 comments:

Smart Helm said...

Reading ur blog always makes me hungry. Probably those worms are trying to find the good food u made and eat it themselves.

Sarah Jarvis said...

I am sorry you had to move. But windows are definitely a great thing.
Can you tell me how you make the crushed potatoes again? I think you told me about them at the reunion and I remember it sounded delicious but that's all I remember.
Yes, I was totally thinking of your backyard and the fire pit and I almost called you but it was really short notice. But yes, let's do it there and then we can come admire your garden as well! And maybe help...

Montana at the Helm said...

I agree with Melanie, reading your blog makes me hungry too!

Now, why are you moving offices?

helmhq said...

We grilled some steaks that were on sale Sunday. Can't wait for real grilling weather. Had a couple of fairly nice days, but supposed to freeze tonight. Wish we could drop in for dinner!

Bethanie said...

We ate some cold cereal. Yumm! Nope, doesn't sound quite as good as yours. Ok! Not even on the same planet. Your awesome!

ps. Melanie mentioned something about your eyes? How did that go?