Monday, May 21, 2012

hmm I'm sensing a theme

 
I tried to post this yesterday, but couldn't get the pictures to stick. I have chickens and there are eggs!














The first egg came on Natalie's  birthday.

Two eggs today (Sunday)!
Hope there will be 2-3 today, but they are laying about 11:00 so I won't know till this afternoon.
I got the 3 chickens off of KSL classified. They are friendly chickens who don't mind being held (or swung on swings or jumped on tramps) as they were raised with children. No names are final but they are easier to tell apart then the ducks, so I don't think it will take long.



I got two red stars. One I call Sparkle- due to her shiny, iridesent feathers in the sun. Nickname may be Tink from "Sparkle Sparkle little Tink who the heck you are I think." She is the red and blond chicken on the left of this picture.








The other Red Star is called Cassidy, for hop a long, as she got injured in the transfer. Cassidy is getting around better all the time. After internet searching its likely she got a sprain as there are no discernable injuries or tender spots. Recommendation is to just let her do her own thing. She is darker then Sparkle with pretty black feather along her neck.




 
The last one is an Americana or Easter Egger. She came with the name of Bubblegum, but I'm not a fan. Angela liked Tika Masala which is pretty cute. I was hoping for blue or green eggs and she does somewhere in between.... She laid yesterday morning and today. I love her cute ear fluffs and beard! She is the friendliest chicken and its hard to get a picture of her holding still.

The chickens seem to be settling in well and in some ways are easier then the ducks.










Natalie came down to spend her birthday with me. Bethanie, Angela, Melanie, Hannah, and Andrew came too. It was really fun. Friday evening we stopped by for them to help me pick up my chickens.  Much of the weekend was spent watching and playing with the poultry. They are very spoiled now- always expecting treats. I let the chickens out today and turns out the ducks are jealous of any perceived treats or attention not sent their way.  The ducks were raised with chickens so I don't know what the problem is. I guess eventually they'll figure it out. I don't want my yard to become a reality "duck wars" tv program. I commented to Melanie yesterday evening that we don't need tv when we have poultry to watch.


Angela helped me with my attempt at adding a smaller door to the duck hut and run. We got the one on the run ready, but the hut is still a work in progress. Angela said this was her first time using a power tool. I'll try to finish it later this week as the ducks seem to appreciate access to their hut during the day.


I also hope to post more pictures of Natalie's birthday celebration later this week.

Garden projects this week: Move the maxmillian sunflower by the grapes, get the new tomato bed ready. And as always catch up on weeding the flower and Raspberry Beds.

6 comments:

Smart Helm said...

I agree. Watching the fowl was way more fun than TV! Thanks for the way fun weekend. Good luck with the eggs.

Bethanie said...

Thanks for hosting the B-Day activities. We all had a great time. And I;m so excited that you are getting eggs. How cool is that!

Chelsea said...

Tikka Masala??? I love it! Ha ha ha!
Kevin and I thought of a few others: Cordon Bleu, General Tso's, Sweet and Sour, BBQ, McNugget. You're welcome.
Alex (my brother) (who lives in Provo) started beekeeping. He has a friend with land up near Heber/Park City or somewhere, and they have honey extracting machines. So Alex bought a beehive, a colony of bees, a beekeeping suit, and all the other good stuff. You'll need to start raising bees pretty soon.

helmhq said...

what fun to have family for the weekend. Wish we could have added to the fun. Hope you are recovered!

Duck, Chickens and now eggs. Quite the farm girl. How do they taste?

Montana at the Helm said...

Love how you named the chickens! Now they are family, right? Wish we were closer to enjoy the poultry too. It's sounds like quite the entertainment.

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.