Monday, May 14, 2012

duck update

 My ducks have gotten a lot bigger in just a week. With the help of Cathy I got them a pool which they were excited about once I moved it away from the neighbor's fence (I guess having two dogs stare at you while drooling is a turn off for ducks).

I found that they will put themselves to bed once I moved from the too small box, so I needed to build a duck hut. Last week I sketched out the plans, figured out how to get the cuts out of the least amount of boards, and went to Lowe's. The helpful guy there made the cuts and then didn't even charge me for the extra cuts!

So Saturday- after mowing and cleaning up the firepit area (in case Natalie comes to spend her bday with me),  Mama helped me. It is much easier with another person, and she didn't let me get discouraged so its now done!




The finished product- painted red to match my chicken coop :)
The ducks don't pose well for pictures, but just this morning I was noticing how they are really foraging for their own food now. They only have a little fuzz left, and their wings are growing in fast. Still no names, but they do have different personalities. I need to get some leg bands of different colors so I can tell them apart.

I usually put lots of spring flower pictures in my yard, but this year I've tried to refrain. However, I hadn't noticed this combination of pink and blue under the pine tree. I don't think those blue flowers have bloomed before.

I keep forgetting that my camera is fixed and I can use it to take nicer pictures, but I'm not sure how I'll get them off as I may have lost the cord....

9 comments:

Melissa Bunn said...

Good job with the duck hut! So what do you do with duck eggs? Do you use them the same as chicken eggs?

Jamie Pearson said...

so fun! can't wait to come visit! I think i say that on all your posts....guess it means its true!

Heidi said...

I'm so excited that you have ducks! I want to hear all about them. Will you get chickens too?

Smart Helm said...

Apparently that is way easier than a chicken coop, eh? Looks beautiful. So excited to see it in person!

Chelsea said...

You have ducks?!? That's marvelous! I love living vicariously through your blog. I planted a pot of tomatoes, but that's the extent of my garden here in the drab old city.... :( But I love seeing your homestead. Take pictures with your real camera. Then I can live even more vicariously!

Helm 9 of 10 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
helmhq said...

It looks really good. You may become a carpenter yet. Love the barn red.
Looking forward to seeing the whole setup in person.

Montana at the Helm said...

Such cute little duckies! Wish I could be there to play with them.

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.