Sunday, October 26, 2008

Domestic?

So this week was very crazy busy. In many ways its good to be busy again, but its kind of stressful. This Saturday I was very busy but didn't get much done. I did Can some tomatoes which look pretty, but I only got 3.5 quarts. That was a lot of work for not much reward, nonetheless after canning those and making spaghetti sauce today, our tomato pile has gone down significantly. On a happier note, the grape jam fiasco actually wasn't as disasterous as previously recorded. Some how they set. Weird. Probably still tastes funny!

More news of the dehydrator: We've done many batches, but it seems as soon as one is done, that it gets eaten up. Interesting because we can do about 12 apples in a batch. Needless to say we are getting plenty of fiber in our house. So we also tried making some fruit leather with apples and grapes. I think I would like one with peaches and strawberries. Grape skins are a little bitter!

We went on a Sunday walk (Jamie, Kate, and I) up South Fork towards Big Springs. It was beautiful! The sky was so blue!


and we were following a beautiful stream most of the way. Maybe its because I grew up in the desert, but anytime I hear water I'm amazed. Its such a beautiful sound, and I just want to jump in. This water was cold so I only put a foot in.


We came up to a beautiful meadow where we took beautiful and silly pictures! It was a glorious fall afternoon that just made me happy to be alive. I sure like Jamie's camera!














This is me trying to catch a lucky leaf. I got one!





I picked 3 of our pumpkins today. Here is a picture of the mini pumpkin and a carrot from our garden!










8 comments:

Montana at the Helm said...

BBBEEEAAAUUUTTTIIFULLLL pictures! That looked like a very nostalgic walk. What a beautiful day. I also loved your mini pumpkin! How cute! I love little cute things.

Jamie Pearson said...

i love my camera too. Thanks for going on the walk today it really was beautiful. Next Sunday we should go again but to another canyon. Yeah I love Sunday walks and playing with my camera!

Bethanie said...

What big carrots you have!! Cool! You look so cute in your pictures! I sure do love you!

Smart Helm said...

Man... I miss fall. Vegas doesn't believe in fall. 88 just isn't fall! I really like the picture of u with ur foot in the stream. I can totally relate.
Very jealous of ur garden. Way to be self suficient!

Anonymous said...

those pictures are really great. you are always good at what you do.

Emily Nice said...

Umm just so no one gets the wrong idea, I only took 3 of those pictures. The cool ones are all Jamie!

Smart Helm said...

She had to have cool subjects u know... nice ones anyways!

Unknown said...

Hi Emily!
I am very jealous of your gardening skills-maybe I can talk my husband into letting me have a little plot next summer. Or maybe I'll just dig up a spot and see how long it takes him to notice-he'll probably think that the dog did it, but then we wouldn't have a dog anymore. Hmm... Well, I'm making my blog private today & I realized that I don't have your email to send you an invitation. So if you could email me at graygang@gmail.com I'll put you on my list. Happy Halloween!