Friday, March 13, 2009

Dogs and a Pickle

I saw Marley and Me with Cathy tonight. Owen Wilson is not my favorite actor, but I enjoyed this cute movie. I'll admit I teared up a bit, but so did the guy sitting in front of me, so its ok. Although it really makes me want a dog even more. I want a border collie. They are my favorite since watching the sheep dog trials. They are the right size, supper smart, not yappy or loud, athletic, not too many health problems, pretty darn cute too! However, I'm a lazy bum so probably not a good choice. I so want to ask our landlord if they would consider changing the rules for us. I think they might. But, I feel bad about having a dog and leaving it alone all day. Border Collies actually do ok with that, but it still seems cruel to me. My roommate isn't fond of cats, and although I like cats, I really, really, really have wanted a dog for my whole life. Not that I'm that practiced, but I feel like I could train a dog reasonably well, and again its something I've always, always, always wanted to do.

(if you are ever having a bad day just google image search puppys..... oh my goodness!)






Today I also went to Good Earth to pick some items up for luncy. I really like that store, particularly the bulk food section. Some really great deals there. Also some wierd food, but its fun to look at. I got some snacky items for work, and some quicky meals for work too so I will stop eating out everyday. (umm ya its wishful thinking). I got some fresh peanut butter (they have a grinder with roasted peanuts and you just turn it on and fill up your container- soooo tasty, just needs a little salt). I also bought 2 different types of salt to try (just a scoop of each) one was "real" salt as opposed to all the fake stuff you guys buy, and another was authentic celtic sea salt which as you all know is way better then regular sea salt. They both taste like salt to me, but there is a slight difference, and since it has more minerals in it I'm sure it good for me so I can use more, right? I also some alfalpha and some brocoli seeds for sprouting and so I'm looking forward to trying those since the straight radish sprouts are a bit too spicy for my liking at times. I decided to get some of their bulk, raw, local honey, but then apparently broke the thingy. That should've been a clue for the rest of the day, but it wasn't. (ps the honey is good, but not as good as the local honey from home. I got to get me some of that somehow!)










I got myself in a pickle this afternoon. I went to watch Glenn Beck's "We surround them" thingy which was actually kind of interesting. As all the regular parking was taken, the overflow parking was in a field. I choose a really bad place to park in between two trucks who obviously had much more clearance then my little mazda. I high centered on some concrete. Right in between some important looking mechanical stuff on my car (later learned one of these is called a catalitic converter). Bad crunching sounds ensued..... My wheels (particularly front pasenger side) spun out as there was a bit of a lower section of ground right there. So, there I was stuck and embarressed. So of course I decided to go watch the show and hope for the best.

(my car looking all inocent, but actually quite stuck)





(high centered on some concrete puddle/chunks)







After the show I was still just as stuck as before, so I of course did the next logical thing. I called dad (later Dad told me it was ok to call them sometime when I'm not in a pickle). Then I called a tow guy. He shook his head over how in this entire field I parked there. I didn't point out that the field had been mostly full whenI parked there, and was now mostly empty. He was a nice older man. I think his name was Bob. You know what they say about little men and big trucks.... Nevermind we won't go there.


(Bob's towing and recovery)











Anyways he managed to jerry rig his rig to get my vehicle unstuck. It was funny.... sort of. At one point my wheel stayed down while the car moved upward. At another point the chunks of concrete moved up with my car. Eventually the front of my car was off the ground and we couldn't go forward as it was at an angle where it would lower the car, so he pushed it backwards. Then the arm of the lifty thingy on his truck got stuck on the concrete so he couldn't put my car down... So he went backwards some more and his metal arm thingy is made out of steel so he was able to go over the concrete (my car on the otherhand is made out of alluminum and plastic. still gets better gas millage then his truck i'm sure!). For some reason it was hard to put my car down too, but put it down he did. He took a look under there for me and said looked like I hadn't even dented my catalitic converter (this is when I learned there was such a thing on my car). There was no dark drippings over the concrete, and so I didn't bust out my oil pan either.


Here you can see where my tire kind of sunk down on the right side. My car was kind of resting in between the two peaks of the concrete chunck. It was only like 18" tall or less
















Ahh on the road again... thanks Bob!








So even though I was stupid, God must still be looking out for me. Which I appreciate. Next time Lord, please stop me from being so stupid. Well, maybe even God has some limitations....

5 comments:

Smart Helm said...

I'm sorry u got in such a pickle.. but it shore makes for a great post! I was talking to Mom when u needed to talk to Dad. I'm glad u got ahold of him since he walked in just as Mom hung up with u!

I'm glad everything turned out OK!
I'm pretty sure there is a parable in that story... maybe u can use it in church someday :-) (and I'm glad u thought to take pictures!)

Neita and Nate said...

That is about the best blog entry I have ever read - in my whole life. Thank you little sister for sharing!

Bethanie said...

I'm sorry that you got stuck. I hate that sick feeling of stress and there is nothing you can do to fix it. Man, just thinking about it makes me feel horrible. I'm glad that you where able to get out so that you can COME TO VEGAS!!!SO excited

Jamie Pearson said...

Oh man you have had a day! Sorry to hear about your car, I did get a good laugh though and could imagine it all happening. I think you should get a dog, and you would be great at training a dog too. Have a great Sunday!

Anonymous said...

just so you know, you are NOT lazy. you should totally get a dog. you would take care of it. i'm sure of it. your blogs are so full of stuff you do that i get tired just reading about your weekends. you ar NOT lazy. on any level. the hot dog place sounded good until you said they were not grilled and took to long. how long does it take to cook a hotdog?