Monday, January 19, 2009

Another Weekend Update

YAy, I love weekends! The only bad thing about weekends is knowing I have to go back to work :( But, this weekend I have Monday off. MLK day is a random holliday for me as I don't have any traditions associated with it, but I'm more then willing to take the day off!

I had a fun weekend! Saturday Cathy and I hung out for most of the day. I did get the bathroom cleaned, my sink in the laundry room spruced up, and sort of swept the kitchen floor and straightened my room, so I felt productive. Cathy and I met up at Kneaders for their all you can eat chunky cinamon french toast. OH WOW! I really like Kneaders and its a good thing I don't work there! Next time I have family in town we will have to go!





We then did some work on Kate's car. Taking out the battery to get it checked at AutoZone and then putting in a new one. Cathy is good at that stuff which is a good thing because batteries kind of scare me, I don't want to get shocked and once I ruined a jacket of Mom's by getting some battery acid on it while I was "helping" dad. Sorry mom!


Then we decided to go up the canyon and see what we could see. I wanted to go stand on the ice at Deer Creek, but it was cold, so maybe another time. I did it last winter and it really freaked me out. The ice makes lots of wierd sounds and I thought I was going to die everytime! So I wanted to do it again and see if I was just imagining things last time.
We drove up to a little town named Wallsburg. Its a strange mix of old, run down, homes, and new "cabins" of the mansion persuasion. While on that drive we saw wild turkeys. And not just a few. It was probably a flock of over 100 birds. Turkeys are wierd! They make lots of wierd sounds and aren't very pretty. I tried to get a picture up close with my phone, but couldn't make it work. Some of the adult males were almost blue in the sun. I didn't know they looked like that. Unfortunately I only got pictures of young/female ones so it isn't that interesting. Stupid phone!So here are some bad pictures from my phone:
We drove some more around Midway to see more "cabins." That area has really grown up. I don't know that I'd want to live there, except for the fact that they have lots of natural hotsprings which is one of my favorite things to do (Ok so I've only been to the well-known ones up in the Jemez, but its sooo fun!). Its fun to see the german look to the place, as apparently thats who first settled there.
Cathy treated me to dinner at the Mountain House Grill for my birthday. We split a margarita pizza and a gormet chicken sandwhich. Cathy also made me eat my vegetables (so we each got a salad), and I got this huge thing of home made lemonaid. Now Melanie will be jealous.
We drove back home and I grabbed a movie and my old roommate Amy was there so we talked a bit before going over to Cathy's house (its comfy and WARM there) to watch Prince Caspian. Good show, but a bit long! Sorry Cathy! Any ways it was a fun Saturday. Thanks CATHY!!!
Sunday was good. They didn't get my records yet in my new ward (I checked on it and its probably because they didn't request them until yesterday :) but I still really like it. I went to choir and everything. Kate and I had tamales for lunch (Mama is babysitting Tamuo's kids as Tamuo (i don't really know how to spell her name) is going to DC for the inauguration). I didn't go shopping on Saturday so I had to just use what I had on hand. I put some wheat bread in the bread maker, sliced some frozen steak up real thin, and grilled it up with onions and bell peppers (frozen from my garden), and made up some au jus sauce for us to "dip" our sandwhiches in, along with some cream cheese because my harvatti was green. Turned out pretty good! We finished the last bottle of grape juice (mostly me), and thats good because I didn't want it to go bad.
I'm eating some Pumpkin Pecan Waffles for breakfast. I've decided I'm a little too food oriented, but hey it makes me happy! We are planning on doing FHE tonight, and so I need to come up with an activity. I'd rather do dessert :)

7 comments:

Smart Helm said...

Wow.. what a fun weekend.

Kinda jealous! Ok, not just kinda, alota. Nathan was surprised I didn't go up there for the weekend, but when I told him I didn't have tomorrow off...

I'm glad u stayed home so u could have all that fun with Kathy. If u had come here... not so much!

Montana at the Helm said...

I love food too! Good for you having fun on your days off! You deserve it. We've seen wild turkeys too and you're right, they are nothing to look at, but it is cool to spot them anyway. We saw them a lot in Iowa.

Bethanie said...

When we saw some turkeys we got out of the car and tried to show the girls. i don't think they made the connection. maybe they weren't hungry enought. Glad that you have been having a good weekend. happy holiday! Not for us though :( Jim still has to work and Natalie went to school.

Anonymous said...

I love your picture in the header, very cool!b

Jared said...

Seems to me you need a camera, preferably digital. Wouldn't spend too much though, might lose it.

Sarah Jarvis said...

Man, that weekend sounds exactly like what I need. Just doing whatever you feel like and GOOD FOOD. Oops, gotta go, Noah is done with his bath. Is it bad to leave him in there by himself? I have been doing it since he was little so I figure he is ok. My way of teaching him how to swim.

helmhq said...

We were really excited to see turkeys too. Here they are kind of rare. Glad you got a picture. They look best in the sun and with the male tail spread, then they look quite pretty.