Sunday, August 2, 2009

flower lady

i was moving the hoses to water one of the gardens and was remembering what fun we had making holly hock dolls back in the day. So I made one. I'm a bit out of practice, but it was still fun. I always liked seeing the different designs people come up with so it wasn't quite as fun playing by myself. I tried to make it look like she was holdinga parasol but instead it looks more like a torch, also her bow is a bit big :)


I made really good zuchinni pizza for dinner (only used up 1/2 of the smaller of the two giant zucchinni's so i'll need to make some chocolate zuchinni cake for desert tonight or tomorrow). And cut up some fresh veggies for a salad (its all from the garden except the olives). I picked a cabbage and was suprised that it wasn't too bitter.





Not too many tomatoes yet, but they are tasty, can't wait to make salsa!









Look at this crazy carrot!
Yesterday I worked out in the yard most of the day. I had to come in after a bit to cool down. It was soooo hot! I got sunburned too which doesn't normally happen. I'm still pretty tired and probably a bit dehydrated today. I went up to the canyon with Cathy and Nate where I went last week with Melanie and Angela. It was fun to stick my tired hot feet in that icy water. I was the only one who did but I feel like its a requirement if there is water around!
After we headed back down the trail a biker asked if we had seen the bear. He was by the beaver pond where we had just been. It was getting dark so we headed back to the park. It was amazing the temperature difference between there and down in the valley. wish i could just pipe that air down here!
could sure use some rain for my garden things are not doing as well as I would like. Squash bugs brought dusty mildew to my pumpkin and something else to the butternut squash. grrrr. some of the pole beans are loosing leaves too. maybe rust? i just feel so helpless when the things are dying

9 comments:

WARNERS said...

Dear Aunt Emily,

I really like your flower doll. Can I make one of those with you next time I come to your house? Can you come to our house next time? I miss you. I love you. See you soon.

Love,
Fay

Neita and Nate said...

Nice,

do you want my secrets about squash bugs?

Call me. I cannot share it over a venue this public.

big bro

txparkinsons said...

you are such the domestic goddess ...

jealous much ...

p.s. i like secrets.

Smart Helm said...

That is an awesome doll. I am way impressed, Miss artistic.

I am jealous of ur garden even if u are sad things are dying. I just spray poison on everything and that seems to help, but we have different types of bugs. Good luck!

Bethanie said...

I have wanted to plant some holly hocks so that I can make dolls with the girls. But I did plant a whole lot of snap dragons and we have been having fun with that. The problem in my garden is that in my soil I have "early wilt". Don't worry I will do a dance and curse your bugs. I'm sure with Nate's secret and my chanting, the problem will be gone.

Jamie Pearson said...

Wow I like your holly hock dolls too. I am still jealous of your garden and you being able to go up the canyon to cool off. Wish we had a canyon nearby but I guess the AC in my house will have to do. I want some of your salsa too, maybe I should just move back to Utah to live near you.

Melissa Bunn said...

Wow! Great job on your holly hock doll.

I'm always impressed with your garden and how it grows. I blame the heat over here, but I doubt I could produce much even if I was in Utah. Thanks again for sharing a zuchinni and the rhubarb with me. I had the best cobbler and the zuchinni was so good!

helmhq said...

None of my hollyhocks will flowers. Isn't that sad. Great gardening.

Jamie Pearson said...

Thanks Em I love the name. I think I may go with it. It does seem that I take most pictures of friends. Thank you for your support.