Friday, May 15, 2009

ashamed

I bought 4 extra tomato plant. ... I am ashamed. I already had a Roma, early girl, lemon boy, jet setter, pik rite, celebrity, and cherokee purple. I added to that a goliath, beefsteak, pink brandywine, and Mr. Stripey. I also got some free seeds for a trip-l-crop that I started but aren't very big yet. All in all that makes 12 varieties. believe me although it looks like a lot of varieties I did use some restraint. Do you have any idea of how many varieties there are? I figure I can try these kinds out and whichever ones I don't like I can try a different kind next.


I don't think I'm really that fat, but I probably am!- here we are planting tomatoes (the first ones I got).



You probably already saw picture on Melanie's blog but I think its cute.










I've been sick. Its been nice to not go into work, but I was pretty miserable and got behind in my yard. Thanks to Melanie for coming to visit me for her birthday! I wore her out good. This actually made me happy because I caught up on things, and it means that my yardwork is exercise, so I'm not completely sedintary.














I also got a couple more sweet peppers (bananna, and an orange bell) and another hot one (serano), bought some butternut squash (since mine from seeds are really small), another zuchini, and a pumpkin. I want a water melon but haven't found one of the "ice box" varieties. In writing this I realized I planted my zuchini over where I had planted my sugar pumpkins. OOPS. I guess I'll move the zuchini to where I have space for the water mellon and see if I can get the sugar pumpkin seeds to come up... if I can find them.


Aren't these so pretty? they are all over my yard. The blades are just starting to die. In two weeks they will be completely gone. I want to start my front shade garden but will wait until these flowers are gone so I can space things out right.








potatoes are coming up, I am covering them up a little bit at a time as they come up.








Here is the front side yard, I dug up and turned over, here is the picture of the sort of finished look. I moved two of the bushes from the side yard (they were in the way of the trash can and wheelbarrow), and the plum tree in the corner of the garden. One of the bushes is really sad, the tree and other bush looks ok. I'm still not sure what to do with the hole. I've been putting weeds, sticks, etc there as I want to fill it in, not real safe though....





The third pictures is the back side yard which is still messy, but I put down weed barrier and mulched with leaves (they are free :) I hope the grapes and bushes do ok there!






I have moved some strawberries from the old patch to the new bed, but overall most of the 50 plants made it. I'm worried about the blackberries. One is definately dead, and the others aren't doing anything. One of the saskatoon berries isn't doing anything, and a couple of berrie bushes. I accidently weed wacked one so I don't expect that one to be ok. All of the raspberries came up, but one got run over by the lawnmower so I might buy a new one. The boysenberries didn't get sent so I have to decide if I will buy something to fill the spot this year.





Here are some pretty pictures of my spring flowers that are just about gone.





These last three are just pretty. The first is a bargin buy that I got from Home Depot cause it was half dead. It sure looks pretty this year. The next is one of my pretty geraniums that overwintered, and the next is a bright yellow pansy that sits in a pot on the patio. Whoo hoo for flowers. I will post again later with a few pics from Melanie's visit and some other garden projects.

4 comments:

Montana at the Helm said...

I love all the flower pictures!

So how many people are you planning on feeding with this garden?

Jamie Pearson said...

Wow Em your flowers/garden is looking amazing! I can't believe you got more tomato plants.... you are insane I wished i lived closer so i could partake of your goodness this year. I think mailing it is out of the question

Smart Helm said...

Ya! Its letting me leave a comment.

Dial up is so dumb sometimes.... OK, all the time.

I had tons of fun with u and u didn't totally wear me out duh. I'm a strong girl :-) And when I come to visit again I'm sure u will share ur bounty right? I brought u 3 squash! *BIG GRIN*

And its OK about ur new tomato plants. I bought 2 new books this weekend.

txparkinsons said...

what is all the paper for?