Saturday, December 20, 2008

SPRING

I got my first seed catalog today, and so in the midst of the winter storms, spring is here! And let me tell you, this seed catalog is amazing! Its the Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (http://www.rareseeds.com/) and the pictures are beautiful. It comes on high quality glossy magazine paper, and some are full pages of this gorgeous fruit and vegetables. If I could, I would wax elequent about the pictures.








I love looking thorugh seed catalogs, I think I got it from my mother. I plan out all the varities I should buy, think about my garden and how this year it will be weedfree and gorgeous. I re-think the "don't buy fruit trees, you are renting" argument that I have every year with myself. I spend hours pouring over the different cultivars, and the new items I want to try this year.
They make everything sound so good in the descriptions! Here is the discription of the Chinses red meat radish (see picture on the left): The colorful "Beauty Heart" radish of historic CHina, the 4" round roots have white and green skin, but the magic is in their rose-red center, which is so sweet, crisp and delicious. A good radish to add color to salads and stir-fries; must be grown in cool weather and does best when fall planted. Sometiems called "watermellon radish" at market." I don't plant radishes any more because they don't really get eaten because I gues no one really likes them, but this description makes me want to plant 4 rows! Just reading the discription of all the varieties of tomatoes, or mellons, or peas makes my mouth water.
I know that I will end up buying plants from my local nurshery (Cooks ), and stick to the basics because I will procrastinate any buying or actual garden prep, but this doesn't lessen the enjoyment I get out of planning and dreaming!

For those of you who care about my life, its been crazy busy and yuck. so I can sit here and dream of digging in the garden and that makes me happy.
I did just get back from a sealing at the temple. I've only been to two of these work related ones. It is always bitter sweet. I'm so happy that there is a hopeful future for this little girl, but most of my other little (and not so little) ones won't have the same opportunities. I hurt for them, even as I rejoice in the possibilities for this one. I need this vacation time so badly right now.

8 comments:

Smart Helm said...

I'm glad u have something fun to do.. and that radish does look delish. Good luck with work and look forward to seeing u!
Plant a fruit tree in a pot! Its easy and I'm sure ur's won't die in three years.... On second though, maybe u better just wait! :-)

Montana at the Helm said...

Oh catalogs...they make everything seem possible to grow, don't they! It sounds like a much needed pleasure among all your work stresses! Yipee for holidays and family!

helmhq said...

Yup, it came from me. Can't think of a better thing for a cold winter night than a delightful catalog to plan the spring garden--to bad those summer gardens never quite come up to the winter plans. Still it's fun and healthy!

Unknown said...

I miss you already. I hope everything is going good for you and have a safe flight home and enjoy your Christmas break. Good thing I get to see you in less than a week. You're the best.

Melissa Bunn said...

Those pictures make me want to plant a huge garden! I hope you have a great Christmas. I'm looking forward to seeing you this weekend!

Anonymous said...

ps we too get seed and flower/plant catalogs and love them so much. we too plan and plan and plan and then nothing happens.

WARNERS said...

Wow, I think I need to order that catalog! I want to plant a fruit tree in a pot! We had so much fun with you and Melanie. You may have already noticed my comment on Melanie's blog but Fay has been singing Happy Birthday to you ever since we left. We really had so much fun with you and are so grateful we got to stay and play with you. Thanks for being so great with Fay. I've never experienced anything like that with Fay - where she is elated to be with someone else for an entire weekend! You are such a great friend. I'm glad you're my cousin! Loving you and missing you!

Jamie Pearson said...

so i put a picture on my blog of new mexico just for you and Melanie!